Unabridged Chick

The American Heiress - Daisy Goodwin This might win for best vacation fluff of the summer, and I mean that in the awesomest way.  I've seen Anna Godbersen's YA Luxe series described as Edith Wharton meets Gossip Girl, and I would say that this novel is a grown-up version of the Luxe books.  Or, how about this: ever had a gin fizz?  This is the book equivalent of that light, frothy, fruity, delicious cocktail.I had to post a Teaser earlier today because I was literally delighted by this story from the first handful of pages, and it honestly gets better from there.  Set during the Gilded Age, the story follows American heiress Cora Cash as she hunts, and marries, an English noble.  Even though Goodwin's writing is effortless it isn't thin: it's clear she's done her research and her tone balances the utterly serious way high society viewed itself with darkly comedic moments and pointed commentary offered in a very pointed manner.  It has Gothic elements, fantastic descriptions of houses and dresses and meals, plenty of intrigue, and a heroine who is self-absorbed and guileless in equal part.  Cora actually sold me on the story, from the first: she's outrageous and out-of-touch, but young and unsure in her own way.  She made me care for her eventual happiness, even if I'm not normally the type to cheer for rich heiresses!Bottom line: get this book, pour yourself a silly cocktail, and settle in for some very ostentatious fun!