Unabridged Chick

You Are Not So Smart: Why You Have Too Many Friends on Facebook, Why Your Memory Is Mostly Fiction, and 46 Other Ways You're Deluding Yourself - David McRaney The basis of this immensely entertaining book is McRaney's blog (which is, unsurprisingly, immensely entertaining).  A journalist who was inspired by an intro to psychology course, McRaney cogently explains the various ways we delude ourselves and act irrationally.  Each essay opens with a 'Misconception' followed by 'The Truth', and then a thorough explanation. As a result, each chapter is a self-contained gem packed with nerdy trivia and fascinating science. They don't necessarily build off each other, so you can browse the essays at your leisure, picking what grabs you the most.  Topics range from procrastination, brand loyalty, cult indoctrination, to the illusion of control, the bystander effect, and the straw man fallacy.  McRaney's writing is smart but funny, loaded with tons of fascinating psychological studies and pop culture references.  I found myself missing the illustrations that can be found on McRaney's blog posts but otherwise, I can't complain about this collection.  I'm running out of adjectives to express the joy I felt with each revelation (not to mention the horror, bafflement, and shock).  This is a wildly fun book that promises to surprise, amaze, and educate you!