Unabridged Chick

Oracles: A Pilgrimage - Catherynne M. Valente Inspired by her stint as a real-life oracle, these poems are about modern day sibyls living their lives in ordinary and magical ways. Each poem is like Take-Your-Daughter-to-Work Day: we see that Mommy's work can be unromantic, real, fascinating, dirty, tiring, and magical. Replacing the Oracles of Delphi, Cumae, and Dodona with those from Los Angeles, Miami, Manhattan, and Anchorage (among others), we are treated to 19 distinct voices, each revealing the life of an oracle off-the-clock or trudging through her duties.I adore Valente's writing style; I love her imagery, the way she builds words into such complex feelings and scenes. Each poem is such a self-contained universe. For what it's worth, this book has accompanied me on half a dozen doctor's visits: every piece sucked me in and kept me enthralled while I spent hours waiting, and I now keep it tucked in my backpack, like emergency reserves, for when I find myself in need of escape.