Unabridged Chick

The Scent of Jade (epub) - Dee DeTarsio This breezy but thoroughly entertaining novel was the perfect escape for me this last week.  Boston was gray and super cold; work was long and draining.  But each night I couldn't wait for my twenty-minute escape to Costa Rica with Julie Fraser, the sarcastic heroine of this novel.  I certainly didn't envy her situation, but Detarsio plays out her plight with humor, action, and a hint of sexiness.If we're considering The Scent of Jade's pop cultural lineage (parents being Romancing the Stone and Survivor) I would have to add Sex and the City as the inappropriate aunt.  This novel is a bit like watching a romantic action movie with a sarcastic best friend -- when things get a little too improbable, the heroine Julie says just the right thing to make me howl.  In fact, what I appreciated the most about this story was the realistic way Detarsio portrayed Julie.  She wasn't perfect; she wasn't insta-Action Heroine.  She was the same woman in Costa Rica as she was at home and she simply had to pull herself together to survive.  Some moments she fell apart; some moments she rocked her best Angelina Jolie.  It gave me hope that should I find myself in a similar situation, I might not necessarily die in the first fifteen minutes!