Unabridged Chick

The Lady and the Unicorn - Tracy Chevalier I don't like Chevalier and I don't know why I keep reading her. Maybe that means I secretly do like her? Her books are well-written: engaging, simple, straight-forward. Her plots are always intriguing. Her history seems well-researched and while she doesn't steep the reader in historical detail, she provides enough flavor to keep you immersed. However, I hate her characters. I never find them appealing or attractive or realistic, and I think that's why I struggle with her--she'd be my favorite author ever if I could stand the people she writes.TLATU is no exception: Chevalier explores the making of a series of tapestries later known as the Cluny Tapestries (named after their current home, the Cluny Musuem), tracking their creation via the eyes of a different character in every chapter. The making of a tapestry is more complex than I could have imagined, and while there are almost eight different voices telling the story, I was never lost or stranded. There is little known about the actual, historical making of these tapestries, but Chevalier's conjecture seems realistic and is interesting enough. My only complaint is that the characters rings false--everyone in 15th century Paris and Brussels appears to be undersexed, from Chevalier's viewpoint, and behave in ways that seem unreal.