Unabridged Chick

Sky Coyote (A Novel of the Company, Book 2) - Kage Baker The second book in Baker's Company series, Sky Coyote follows the further adventures of immortals Mendoza and Joseph. This time the action is seen through the eyes of older, wiser Joseph, who is sent to Lost City, Company's cushy New World spa where he is reunited with his angry protege, Mendoza. Though more than a century and a half has passed, Mendoza is still bitter about what happened while they were in England (or, In the Garden of Iden) and is dismayed that they are both assigned to the same project: to catalog and physically preserve the pre-Columbian Chumash tribe, located in (what will become) California. As a Company Facilitator, Joseph is turned into their local deity, Sky Coyote, and quips his way into their hearts, allowing Company anthropologists and scientists to catalog their culture.Sadly, this sequel fails to recreate the feel or the drive of the first. Baker's tone and characterization of the Chumash are jarringly anachronistic, and even though some interesting plot twists regarding the Company and the fate of their immortals are introduced, the book maintains a light, predictable pace and ends neatly, smoothly segueing into the third book. I suspect I'll make another attempt, as I am curious about the Company; I just hope there is a new narrator: punchy, jovial Joseph is too breezy for me.