Unabridged Chick

Macbeth (The Annotated Shakespeare) - William Shakespeare How do you review Shakespeare? Seriously! I like Macbeth muchly, far more than some of his more popular tragedies, like Hamlet. But that's just personal preference. Since I'm no Shakespearean scholar, I'll review this edition of Macbeth, which I do have distinct thoughts about.The edition I read was Yale University Press' fully annotated text, with annotations but Burton Raffel and a closing essay by Harold Bloom. Bloom's essay is simply a reprint of his chapter on Macbeth from his tome Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human which is disappointing. Raffel's annotations, like most for Shakespeare's plays, are simply definitions, although a few are prosody (metrics). His introduction tells us what Macbeth is really about and how plays were staged in his time. This edition reads like a high-school text book. Nice if you're new to Shakespeare and want what reads like a mini-seminar. I feel like it's worth mentioning the cover grosses me out.