Unabridged Chick

Kiss Her Goodbye: An Otto Penzler Book - Mickey Spillane, Max Allan Collins I went through this phase in high school where I just inhaled super macho men's thrillers.  Mostly I alternated between Clive Cussler and Mickey Spillane, with some Stephen Hunter thrown in for variation.  As a result, I'm super sentimental about all three authors even though it's been more than a decade since I've read any of their books.  I'd sort of forgotten about Mike Hammer until spotting the newest one on NetGalley and suddenly, that's all I wanted in the world.  As I said, it had been more than ten years since I last read a Mike Hammer novel, but from the first sentence, Kiss Her Goodbye felt just like what I remembered Hammer novels to be: punchy, violent, sorta sexy, grim, and dead fun.The writing had everything I wanted (craved, even) from a Mike Hammer novel: smart, sly banter; straightforward mystery, sexy women, bad criminals, and a morally ambiguous hero.  Perhaps if I read an earlier Mike Hammer novel just before starting this one, I might have been able to discern where Spillane ended and Collins began, but in the two days it took me to finish this one, I didn't catch an off note or uncharacteristic response.  (In fact, the only change I noticed was with me: I'm a little more squeamish about the violence!) This can be read as a stand-alone novel for anyone new to Mike Hammer -- enough context is given to explain past characters and plots --  and certainly anyone familiar with the series will enjoy this offering.