Unabridged Chick

When We Danced on Water: A Novel - Evan Fallenberg This novel was effortless to read, and immensely enjoyable. The writing was lovely -- a little lyrical, a little poetic -- and the plot simple but compelling. The story revolves around Teo, the aforementioned 85-year old retired ballet dancer, and Vivi, a 40-ish waitress. They meet at the coffee shop where Vivi works and strike up an unlikely friendship. This friendship provokes conversations about art, obsession, and passion, themes which weave through the rest of the story, as we learn about Vivi's romantic past and Teo's experience in Berlin during World War II.The romance was really secondary to Teo's reminiscences, which was fine because Teo's back story is fascinating. A young Polish Jew dancing with a Danish ballet company, he and his fellow dancers are invited to perform in Berlin in 1939. It's an opportunity of a life time -- so despite protests from friends in Denmark, he goes. I don't want to give too much more away as my enjoyment came from not really knowing what to expect as the story unfolded. But I was surprised, moved, horrified, and relieved, captivated by Teo and Vivi, eager to see how their relationship would develop. The lyricism of Fallenberg's writing kept the sad parts from being too misery-inducing and made the moments of joy and happiness vibrate.My one complaint is I found the end a tiny bit clunky but the story closed in a very neat and ultimately satisfying way, and it didn't detract from my overall enthusiasm for this book. Highly recommended -- would be an effortless and fascinating weekend read.