Unabridged Chick

Wendy and the Lost Boys: The Uncommon Life of Wendy Wasserstein - Julie Salamon I was wholly unfamiliar with Wendy Wasserstein but I love reading about writers, and her life featured so many elements I enjoy reading about -- women's colleges, New York City, the arts scene, and complicated families. This is an authorized biography and I was apprehensive at first that would mean a glossing over of anything unsavory about Wasserstein or her family. Instead, I found it to be measured, fair, and detailed (albeit dry from time to time). Wasserstein's life has elements of the fairy tale -- a secret brother squirreled away in an asylum, her mother's 'forgotten' first marriage, rollercoaster success as a playwright, her secret pregnancy -- and Salamon presents Wasserstein's story with respect and a kind of calmness. At some points, I wanted a little less distance: Salamon writes very openly about the Wassersteins' intense secrecy, and even though she shares painful revelations, I still felt at arm's length. Perhaps it was the subject herself; as Salamon explains in her Acknowledgments: "Untangling Wendy Wasserstein's story required constant triangulation between her dramatic interpretations of her life and times...; her 'nonfiction' essays; and everything else...". The snapshots of Wasserstein's life at Mount Holyoke were especially fascinating to me -- I love reading about women's colleges in the '60s -- and learning about the Off-Broadway theater scene was very eye-opening (especially in regards to how women were treated). I enjoy taking risks with my reading now and then and I appreciated this biography of a new-to-me writer. Wendy Wasserstein is now on my TBR; having this background will make reading her work richer, I think, and I'm curious now about other female playwrights from the '60s and '70s.