Unabridged Chick

Does a Bear Sh*t in the Woods?: Answers to Rhetorical Questions - Caroline Taggart The title of this book, with the mild, modified obscenity, pretty accurately conveys the tone and feel of this slender book. Taggart, author of I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot From School and The Classics: All You Need to Know, from Zeus's Throne to the Fall of Rome, specializes in zingy tidbits of trivia for people who want to feel smarter and/or have more ammunition for game night.The collection of rhetorical questions is English-oriented, sourced from literature, film, and popular music.  While there are some Latin and French phrases, they're likely familiar to English speakers.  Non-native English speakers might have a hard time with some of the entries, as Taggart doesn't often explain the source of the rhetorical question (slogan, song lyric, movie quote, or a line of poetry, etc.) nor does she explain the implied meaning.  She alternates with flip answers (usually pat, tired stereotypes involving women and shoes) and serious, sometimes literal responses (see my example for 'Where's the beef?' above in the First Line section). Taggart has a bit of a green streak, as many of her answers refer to the ecological impact of things, but she also can be weirdly dated, with her non-stop references to women needing to buy shoes. I found the book funny at times, but not snort-out-loud. If I was particularly amused by the rhetorical question ('How do you solve a problem like Maria?', 'How much is that doggie in the window?'), I usually found the answer funny and clever. If I didn't get the question ('Has your mother sold her mangle?', 'How many beans make five?)', usually the response went over my head, a bit like an inside joke no one explained to me. Still, this glib book is perfect for the irreverent wise ass in your life. Either dole out the answers yourself, or gift them with this book and be aware you'll be peppered with trivia later.