Unabridged Chick

Afterwards - Rosamund Lupton I think if you're a fan of Lovely Bones but want something less inspirational in tone, then this might be your book. Unfortunately, despite my love of the woo-woo and supernatural/paranormal/just-plain-odd, I really didn't click with this book's conceit or the narrator. I made it about one hundred pages and quit, daunted by the remaining 300.There are a few reasons why this didn't work for me, starting with the heroine, Grace. Or maybe it was the writing style first, and then Grace. Told by Grace's disembodied soul while she's in a coma at the hospital following a fire at the school her children attend, she recounts to her husband everything that happened following the fire. As a result, the narrative takes this weird second person POV, 'you' this and 'you' that (which, to be honest, made me wonder if there would be a We Need To Talk About Kevin-esque twist at the end). Despite being in an incorporeal state, Grace decides to solve the mystery of who or what caused the school fire, which involves eavesdropping, watching television, and thinking back on various events while floating around the hospital with her comatose, disembodied daughter. She admires her family (all pretty and smart and dreamy and sweet) and is pretty smug about her life. Maybe she does more but as I said, I didn't get far into the story.Scanning GoodReads, it seems opinions are pretty mixed, with some folks who love this one and others who don't. I think it really is matter of whether the writing catches your fancy, so don't take my word necessarily -- you can read an extract at Lupton's website and see if it clicks.