Unabridged Chick

Brand New Human Being - Emily Jeanne Miller This is one of those books that is probably lovely, but since it isn't my tastes, I just couldn't connect or really engage with it. Logan Pyle, a young (30ish?) father is married to Julie, a work-minded lawyer, living in a house he inherited from his father, raising his nearly four-year old while Julie works on the case of a lifetime. When Logan catches Julie with another man (not a spoiler; the jacket blurb shares this), he takes his son and flees to his father's widow, a woman only a few years older than him, and ostensibly learns about being a 'brand new human being' and stuff.I had a few problems with this book, starting with the pacing. Based on the jacket blurb, I expected the moment of infidelity to occur early on but instead, I kept reading and reading and thinking, so when is it going to happen?. Since it's the motivating factor for Logan's leaving -- and thus the point of this novel -- I presumed we'd get to it quickly. The fact it arrived so late in the story really removed some of the book's oomph for me. I suspect Miller was trying to build a portrait of a marriage so we readers would be more invested in Logan's leaving but I just found the pacing slow.After that, I found the plot pretty flimsy. Logan marries Julie after two weeks of sex because she's pregnant; when four years later he finds himself with a toddler and a wife who prefers work to him, I shrugged my shoulders. I think I was supposed to be moved by their young romance but instead, I felt sorry for Julie -- saddled with a loser husband who didn't find her groundbreaking legal work as compelling as she did -- and I just wanted to shake Logan. His response -- to flee with his son -- was as poorly thought out as his earlier life choices. Honestly, I just kept thinking that this couple is exactly the reason why we need safe, affordable abortion in this country. Okay, I'm being glib, but really, the whole time I was reading this, I just felt so sad for these two. There's no medical reason they had to rush into having a baby, and they didn't know each other, and their own careers were modified by their marriage...I don't know, it just felt like such a waste.I would describe this as married chick lit, mabye, kind of formulaic, kind of inspirational, earnest, with some real meat -- definitely good summer fare -- and for the right kind of reader, probably a captivating read.