Unabridged Chick

The Anatomy of Death - Felicity Young This is a solid start to a promising mystery series that takes CSI-ish police procedural and puts a historical twist to it, with a great heroine, interesting class nuances, and a focus on the big political issues of Victorian Britain. Set in November 1910, the novel follows Dr. Dorothy 'Dody' McCleland, the UK's first female autopsy surgeon. Newly returned from university in Scotland, Dody finds herself immediately plunged into work, assisting in an autopsy almost the second she gets off the train. To her dismay, the victim is a prominent suffragette, a good friend of her sister Florence, and Dody is shocked to discover the death came after counter-protesters and police turned a suffrage protest into a violent melee. Dody meets Chief Detective Inspector Matthew Pike, who is investigating the death as well as the behavior of the police during the incident, and Dody finds that, despite his initial disapproval, that she and Pike get along rather well. Although he's suspicious of her and her sister, in the end, they find unlikely allies in each other -- which is good, as there's more than one mystery that needs unraveling -- and both face criticism and critique in their professional lives.The mystery -- the actual crime -- wasn't the hook of this novel for me; it was the characters. Dody is wonderfully complex. From an affluent family who were Fabianists, she's a 'radical' in her own way yet rather perturbed by her sister's association with militant suffragettes. Obviously a modest woman, she struggles with her attraction to her flirtatious, married mentor, Dr. Bernard Spilsbury, aware of how improper her feelings are yet unable to completely quash her interest in him. And yet, Dody is quite conservative in some ways that make sense given the era, her 'station', and her family's background. Her sister Florence seems at times to play the society activist, using her beauty and money and make a mess of things, yet a survivor of forced feeding, Florence struggles with PTSD and tries to moderate the infighting among her circle. Pike, older, a veteran of war, is fond of new technology (his wise use of the telegraph is responsible for the capture of a criminal, we learn) and yet he has his own issues working with women and dealing with the suffrage movement.The ambiance of Victorian London is beautiful (disgustingly!) evoked by Young, which is why I love me some historical novels (all that delicious grime without having to actually suffer through it!). There's a waft of romance for Dody, which might annoy people who want the main characters to be sexless, but I actually love the burgeoning romance. (I'm a sucker for a good romance!)I was delighted to learn Young modeled Dody on her grandmother and the historical woman who became the first autopsy surgeon in the UK, so Dody doesn't feel modern or anachronistic.My feelings toward this book have grown more favorable as time goes on; about halfway through I stopped reading it because I was reading David Morrell's Murder as a Fine Art and loving that way more. But after I finished it, I returned to this one and finished the remaining half in a single night, unable to stop. I am super disappointed the next book doesn't continue with the suffrage theme - there's so much fascinating in-fighting and crazy drama to plumb -- but as I loved the second book more than the first one, I can't complain. I am, needless to say, on pins and needles for the third book. A breezy read, and low on the gross despite the fact our heroine handles dead bodies, this is a good book for rainy days and moody weekends. Definitely one for the autumn. A nice series for those who like light historicals -- not fluffy, per se, but not thick with research -- and those who enjoy intriguing heroines.