Unabridged Chick

Prelude to a Scandal (Scandal Series)

Prelude to a Scandal - Delilah Marvelle Did... I laugh a lot?: YES.  In a good way.  A great way.  This book is snappy and funny, perfect weekend reading.Am... I totally over the predatory lesbian preying on married straight women?: YES.  It seemed especially out of left field in this book.Did... I find the sex sexy?: YES, although there wasn't a ton but what occurred was in character and actually rather plot-necessary!Review: As I said in my last Teaser Tuesday, this is an unusual pick for me -- I'm not a regular romance novel reader.  But I was really intrigued by the premise -- sexual addiction! -- and I wanted to see how it would shake out. There was the fantasy element I was looking for (becoming a duchess! dreamy hot hubby!) but at the same time, everyone wasn't sort of preternaturally perfect or charming or whatever. I rather liked our heroine, Justine -- she was feisty and fiery and all that but considering her upbringing, it felt real and grounded.Overall, I wasn't disappointed; my big quibble was that the otherwise reasonable heroine allowed herself to get separated from her otherwise lovely husband on a rather flimsy premise. Marvelle's writing style is straight-forward and very funny and I'm looking forward to the second book in the Scandal series -- this time, she refashions Cinderella with the hero as the penniless romantic.ETA: Despite my quip above about the predatory lesbian, I wanted to add I actually found this book to be remarkably queer-friendly. Refreshingly so. And the sapphic twist actually made sense in the context of the character -- I just wish it had been developed a little more. The book's overarching theme of sexual obsession makes the sapphic twist quite appropriate and intriguing -- historically homosexuality has been seen as a kind of obsession -- but it's also not a huge part of the plot. I don't want to overemphasize it at the expense of the rest of the story. But I also wanted to be fair about my gripe since I went there.